What is Universal Design? Universal Design uses 7 principles to ensure a space is accessible to all people regardless of age, ability, disability, or any other factors. These principles can be applied in residential and commercial design, you may not be aware of it but Universal design is all around us in our day to day lives. The width of a door, how it opens and the design of the handle are all designed following the principles of accessibly.
We use these principles to transform spaces making them inclusive to everyone, our goal is to create spaces that promote community & connections. Our goal is to design spaces that are beautiful, functional and safe for everyone. We what to share with our community that universal design can be beautiful. Your home should be a safe & inviting place for everyone who enters, when investing in your home it's important to consider how long will you be in your home. Here are some questions to ask yourself now or before planning a renovation. Will your house grow with you? Is the design timeless and will the upgrades you're investing in still work for you 15 - 25 years from now? When you work with a designer we take into consideration how long you will be in this house, how and who uses the space. Will your in-law's be moving in? Is this your forever home will you be living here into your 80's? Maybe you're reading this and a friend or family member is planing to stay in their home for as long as possible. It's a good idea to go throw this check list to see if their home will grow with them, investing in solutions that will improve their day to day lives is always a good idea. There are so many products and solutions that are stylish, trendy and more current. Here is a concept of a universal kitchen, all 7 principles were taken into consideration, as well sustainable & biophilic methods & solutions.
The 7 Principles of Universal Design
1. Equitable, the design can be uses or accessed by people of all abilities.
2. Flexibility, the design considers users preference and ability, accommodating to a wide range of people regardless of their abilities.
3. Simple & Intuitive, the design is easy to use & understand for all regardless of experience, knowledge or skill.
4. Perceptible Information, the design can use touch, sight, and hearing for safe use, commentates information to the user regardless of
5. Tolerance for Error, the design minimizes horrors, errors and provides fail safe features.
6. Low Physical Effort, the design is comfortable, easy to use with limited strength, stamina, and dexterity.
7. Size & Space for Approach & Use, the design is easy to access, reach, manipulation, and use regardless of user's ability.